Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"No Excess Baggage"

The other day I was helping my cousin who was going abroad on a business trip, to pack her bags...as usual there were many things to pack and not much space...The baggage limit kept by the airline was just 20 kgs, so my cousin was saying a firm "NO" to all excess stuff (we did have a tough time deciding which ones were to be left out, but my cousin knew exactly what she wanted to leave behind, so that was not much of an issue) ...

How good would it be if we could set a similar "limit" on the amount of our thoughts ... No excess baggage!!!
Life would be so uncluttered, so much lighter... so much simpler...
We would then be able to devote time wholeheartedly to things that are most important to us, and the unwanted things would have to wait... because there would be no room for them...
Our "mind's weighing scale" would go beep beep every time we tried to overload it with "excess baggage" - a signal to stop, think and simplify...

6 comments:

  1. Vishy said : "On the other hand, isn't it the fact that we can think, perhaps think too much and become overloaded with thoughts, that makes us unique? "

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but this overload can be mere wishful thinking at times too... I meant selective and controlled thinking...which is *sigh* an obviously far fetched thing...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While Vishy sought to align his thoughts with Descartes ; I think you said what I crib about a million times in my head daily, that I wish I had fewer thoughts. Someone once advocated pinching myself to snap out of lengthy thinking sessions. Besides, my thoughts often don't have a definite outcome which is very unsettling and time-consuming. I'm usually occupied in my thoughts to a point where conversations become distractions - this is a flighty suggestion/excuse to why I speak so little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol... @Renisha... I didn't realize I was quoting Descartes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey purva..its really a gr8 thought!

    ReplyDelete