Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Comfort Food : Day#10/30

Yayyy! Double-digit day reached :D
Had written thought of this post yesterday midnight when I got up feeling hungry ;-)

A list of different (my Mom calls it 'weird') :P food combos I like. Love making really interesting food combos (well, can't say ppl back home are as much enthu to try it as me ;)), especially when there's a lack of supplies and time and abundant laziness and hunger :P
Simple. Easy. Quick. Feel-good dishes.

Caramel-Banana-Milkshake : 
I recently have become addicted to Caramel Horlicks...
This is a quick midnight snack...just take 1-2 (heaped! like they say in the instructions on the jars ;) ) teaspoonfuls of the powder, add a little warm milk and stir. Add colder milk, and top it off with some bananas (the small, "elaichi" ones taste the best!)
You could actually use anything really, Bournvita, Chocolate/Cocoa powder, add more fruits, may be some dryfruits, or icecream, caramel nuts, whatever you fancy! ;-)

Farsan Roll : 
This is my go-to recipe on Saturday mornings when I lunch alone and can't be bothered to make elaborate vegetable dishes. Just take some farsan, chiwda or even unflavoured cornflakes will do...something crunchy basically...mix it with some chopped tomatoes, onions, add the usual salt, masala, green chillies, imli/pudina chutney if there's some at home, else a liberal dose of tomato ketchup is fine too...a dash of lime if you prefer...spread this over your roti and make a roll.
Done! Eat immediately lest the filling gets soggy.

कुर्डया भाजी (KurDaya Bhaaji) :
This is an authentic dish. Not made up by me. I had it first when HC got it for lunch @office..."KurDaya" is a kind of noodle-like papad (looks very much like long entangled vermicelli, but tastes much better) which is fried and served as an accompaniment. Here, we don't fry it, but instead make the usual oil, mustard, jeera, turmeric, hing, green chilly, chopped onion tempering and add the unfried broken kurdaya to it....add a little bit of water - just enough for it to cook...basically just like vermicelli upma is made...
Good to have on days you forgot to replenish that stock of vegetables. HC calls it "दुष्काळी भाजी" (a 'drought' vegetable) :P

Soupy Oats :
Alright, this is like the laziest dish ever. And the best thing is, it's warm, filling and tasty.  I had gotten this huge jar of unflavoured oats sometime back and I got really bored of having them with same old sugar+milk, or same old masala I had at home. And I had lots of ready-to-eat soup packets gotten on some trip to the supermarket....so...combine them!
All you need is a packet of any instant soup (tomato, manchow, palak, veggie, sweetcorn, etc) and just add some oats while you make the soup.
I live crunchy foods, so sometimes sprinkle Haldiram Bhujia Sev on top as garnish ;-)
Soup का soup, oats का oats (sev का  sev) ! ;-)

All this thought of food makes me hungry...time to go grab a coffee :)


No comments:

Post a Comment