Sunday, April 13, 2014

S.O.S : Day#14/30

This Sunday, went on my first night trek (Katraj to Sinhagad, or K2S as its popularly called).  It was a huggeee gathering of people (almost 120 in our group and some 60-odd of another group!) and full moon night being just two days away, we didn't really need any torches.
Although there were patches where one was better off with a torch and also one slightly teeny weeny time frame where I thought I had lost the track, and couldn't see anyone ahead or behind me. :P

In that infinitesimally small time frame, I thought I had no "effective" way of signalling for help, except obviously shouting till I went hoarse (and there was no need for it thankfully as well :P)
But, at such times, one realizes how few 'life saving' skills one has, and you wish you had paid more attention to all those 'knot tying', 'signalling' and other such sessions you had back in school ;)

This, and the fact that I am fascinated by Morse code, and have tried to read/remember it quite a few times made me post this here.

Morse code, simply put, is a universally accepted signalling system, usually used by ships/planes/defence personnel etc. It consists of dots and dashes that denote alphabets.  More on the wiki page.

You can't really remember every single thing...especially so since there's no real need to use it as often...

A simple S.O.S (Save our Souls) signal in Morse Code is :




(... --- ...) dot-dot-dot dash-dash-dash dot-dot-dot

And if you are using a torch/flashlight to signal, the dot is usually one second long, and the dash is two/three seconds long.

GK++ ho gaya :)

For now, (-... -.-- .)

PS: See this Morse code translator, for tp and if you want to annoy your friends next time you are bored ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment