Thursday, April 24, 2014

Inked! : Day#25/30

I have skipped almost an entire week and it's also the nearing of the 30 day challenge too...promise I will post the missing ones soon enough!

I have had my own reasons for skipping writing - a code freeze looming up @office and (the real reason!) I was busy 'wolfing' down (pun intended!) book 2 of the Game of Thrones series.  ;-)

Simply UNPUTDOWNABLE :P Superbly brilliant.
I just finished reading it and so so wish I could just run to my library and get the third book ASAP - which surely is the first thing I'll do tomorrow morning - just hope its not issued already...
It took all my willpower to not carry the book to office, or call in sick this week :P and when I did live in 'our' real world, and not in the land of Westeros :P, I remembered I had to travel home to fulfill a "voting" duty as well :)

To be honest, I am never one to hotly debate and take sides - pro-AAP, anti-Congress, Modi-fied, etc etc, but, whether to vote for the MP candidate in the area, or look at the party's PM candidate and vote for the party rather than the candidate, is one issue I thought a lot about and also discussed a lot @home, with friends...

Some interesting links : this, this, this and this cartoon...


My take :
The MP usually doesn't have much budget to spend on the constituency and is more concerned with representing his people @the national level, so if you would want someone to "look after" local issues, he's not the one to hanker after - the MLA or the Corporator is the one more likely to be actively involved.
For the purpose of Loksabha elections, just thinking a MP candidate is good, he'll do "good work" in the constituency is not enough. We would need to look at the bigger picture - the party's PM candidate as well.

Luckily, the BJP-ShivSena candidate, this time around in my constituency, is quite a "clean", highly educated, young candidate (at least at face value).
So a part of me thinks since the candidate is good, and their high profile PM candidate could prove to be good (although I'm not ready to believe him entirely innocent of the Godhra carnage and he obviously is no magician or a "saviour" as many claim. Also, I think the "Har Har Modi...Ghar Ghar Modi" line is in very poor taste too, but a leader who will speak his mind, who will take a stand will be a welcome change), it wouldn't hurt to support them.

That said, it does not mean I disrespect Mr. Manmohan Singh...I agree the man might have not "stood up" to his party president and he was much better as a FM than a PM, appeared 'meek' and all that, but he's an extremely intelligent economist and we have to respect that fact.
And the way the social media and the people at large make fun of him and his "silence" is really pathetic - people who don't know a thing about governance and economics and party politics assume they have freedom to take digs and pot shots at him - just because he hasn't bothered to lash back at them.
Seriously, give the man a break. I'm sure history will be more kind to him, as they say...

But, I digress.
The point is - one part of me wants to vote for the new clean well educated MP + dynamic PM combo, while the other half is pro-AAP.

I fear that if "we, the people" don't give AAP a chance this time, "we, the people" (not AAP!) might never get a second chance the next time around - AAP or no AAP. And that would be really really bad.
We can be sure the "big fish" out there would make sure no future "small fish" try to rise and oppose them next time. Read this, if you haven't already.
Although I was upset over all the Delhi drama that unfolded and hope they have better governing sense the next time around, it would really be a pity if the AAP "movement" fizzles out for lack of public support. Which makes me lean a bit towards them and wonder if I should shout "Accio, broomstick" today ;-) ( !(original) joke, read it somewhere :) )

Anyways, I hope I'll sort out the confusion and make up my mind by the time I get to the poll booth :)

PS: I did make up my mind. Of course am not posting my decision here!
Here's my vote selfie :)



PPS: On a lighter note, this faking news doing the rounds on fb is hilarious :P

No comments:

Post a Comment